Check your bulbs, prune your fruit trees and 6 other quick pre-gardening, landscaping tips – St George News
ST. GEORGE – Much can be done now to get the growing season off the ground.
These tips, with links from the Utah State University Extension Gardeners Almanac, can get you started.
- Consider adding a smaller structure like a low tunnel or a larger tall tunnel to extend your growing season.
- Try starting vegetables or annuals with seeds indoors for a start to growth.
- Consider growing herbs and / or microgreens indoors to add fresh greens to your diet.
- If you store lightbulbs, check the condition of the lightbulbs to make sure they are tight and remove any soft or rotten lightbulbs.
- Prune grapes and fruit trees in late February to early March.
- Fertilize fruit trees at least 6 weeks before they bloom.
- Monitor the landscape for damage to deer and rodents.
- Avoid fungal mosquito infestations in indoor plants by letting the soil dry between waterings.
Written by JULENE REESE, extension of Utah State University.
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2021, all rights reserved.
Free messaging by email
Would you like the news of the day delivered straight to your inbox every night? Enter your email address below to get started!