Mulch is a good choice for your garden because of these 5 reasons
- Mulch reduces weed growth by blocking light that would ordinarily promote weed development.
- Mulch will retain moisture in soil, which helps plants to survive long periods of time without water or rain.
- Mulching Increases the soil quality of your garden over time.
- Mulching cools roots by reflecting radiant heat away. This protects them from heat damage.
- Encourages root growth when used at the base or other garden features, such as flowers or shrubs.
Mulch reduces weed growth by blocking light that would normally advance weeds development.
Mulch reduces the amount of nutrients and water needed to stop or slow down the growth weeds. Mulching reduces sunlight availability for plants, which means they will not need as many waterings as if unprotected. Some weed species die without direct contact due to the decrease in moisture during dry spells. If you reach a threshold (such as perennials), it is best to pull the weeds and not try to cover them with a thick layer of mulch.
Mulch will retain moisture in soil, which helps plants to survive long periods of drought without watering or rain.
This is a common method used in organic gardening. They use all-natural materials such as straw and shredded bark from trees to mulch. Mulches are applied to formal plantings and garden beds. Lawns are left bare by using a "no mow" policy, which saves time and makes it easier to care for them. Mulch can also be used to reduce weed growth as these unwanted plants cannot thrive in darkness and lack of sunlight. Consider using compost in combination with the mulch you choose to promote healthy roots.
Mulching helps keep roots cool by reflecting radiant heat away, which protects them from heat damage.
Mulch is particularly useful for plants that thrive in hot climates like tomatoes and roses. Mulch can lower the soil temperature by as much as 20 degrees Fahrenheit (this is known "thermal insulation"), which aids plants in their growth cycle. Mulching can also reduce weed growth and prevents soil moisture from deteriorating. This will keep your garden looking great for longer periods.